Attendance Procedures

Panther logo


According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), "[i]n order for students to realize the opportunities and benefits from school, students have to not only be in attendance but they must also be meaningfully connected to the school and experiencing success" (BEC 24 P.S. 13-1327). Frequent absences from regular classroom learning experiences disrupt the continuity of the instructional process. Regular school attendance is essential for the successful completion of the educational objectives of the Quakertown Community School District. Our Attendance Policies are outlined below in a question-and-answer format. If you have any questions or concerns about these policies, please do not hesitate to contact the main office of your child's school.


What does "compulsory school age" mean?

The term “compulsory school age” is defined by the Pennsylvania Code as “the period of a child’s life from the time the student’s person in parental relation elects to have the student enter first grade, which shall not be later than the age of six (6) until the age of eighteen (18) years or graduation from a regularly accredit high school, whichever occurs first” (22 PA Code §11.13). In cases where a student is seventeen (17) at the start of the year and becomes 18 during the year, all legal action under the Compulsory Attendance Regulations shall stop upon the student’s 18th birthday.  Therefore, until a child reaches the age of 18, both the child and his/her parents/guardians may face legal penalties for violating compulsory school attendance requirements.  Please refer to your child's student handbook for additional information.


What if my child is absent from school?

All absences are required to be reported to the child’s school.  Quakertown Community School District uses SafeArrival, an absence management system run through SchoolMessenger that improves student safety and makes it easy for parents to report their child’s absence. If parents have not set up an account through SchoolMessenger already, then they must set up an account (  

Parents can report their child’s absence 24 hours/7 days a week.  Future absences can be reported at any time.  Parents are asked to report absences through SafeArrival. Parents can report their child’s absence through SafeArrival in any of the following ways:  

  • Using a mobile device; download and install the SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store (or from the links at Please note that the first time you use the app, you will need to select Sign Up to create your account. To enter an absence, select Attendance then, Report an Absence.      

  • Use the SafeArrival website; The first time you use the website, you will need to select Sign Up to create your account. Then, select Attendance, and finally, Report an Absence.      

  • Call the toll-free number (833) 834-4911 and report an absence using the automated phone system. 

Can my child participate in extracurricular activities if absent from school?

No, students who are absent from school may not participate in athletics or any other co-curricular or extracurricular event/activity.

What counts as an excused/lawful absence?

  • Illness or quarantine

  • Death in the family

    • If a student has a 10-day Absence Letter at the time of a death in the family, the absence will be excused with documentation.  If no documentation is presented the absence will be considered unexcused.  

    • In the case of the death of a parent or sibling, students are excused for five (5) days with additional days at the principal’s discretion.

  • Appointments with licensed medical practitioners

  • Physical or mental disability that is verified by a licensed medical practitioner

  • College visits - The district may limit the number of college or postsecondary institution visits for which excused absences may be granted to a student during the school year. Upon return from a college visit, students must submit a signed notice from the institution (usually via the Admissions Office) as proof of the visit.

  • Religious holidays (upon written parental request)

  • Educational travel (with prior administrative approval)

  • Court hearings related to the county Children and Youth Agency, Juvenile Probation Office, or adoptions 

  • Urgent/emergency reasons. Subject to building administrator approval.  Please note that the Commonwealth requires that this excuse be "strictly construed" (24 P.S. 13-1329(a)). Examples of excuses that are not urgent include, but are not limited to: missing the bus, job interviews, unauthorized trips (such as hunting or fishing), oversleeping, or car trouble. 

What counts as an unexcused/unlawful absence?

Unless the absence is due to one of the specific reasons deemed excusable by the Commonwealth (see above), then the absence is unexcused/unlawful. 

What if my child is absent for 10 or more days during the school year?

A student absent for 10 or more days throughout the school year, regardless of the absences being excused or unexcused, shall be required to present a note from a licensed medical practitioner for any additional absences.

What happens if my child is absent from school without a lawful excuse and is of compulsory school age (under 18 years of age)?

In an effort to avoid legal penalties, schools will invite students and parents/guardians to design a "School Attendance Improvement Plan" (SAIP). The SAIP is a proactive measure that seeks to improve your child's attendance while outlining the consequences of failing to do so.

Students who accumulate more than three (3) unexcused absences are considered "truant." Because of their age, they are in violation of the Commonwealth's compulsory school attendance laws and regulations. After the third unlawful absence, parents/guardians will receive a notice alerting them to the possible legal penalties for continued violation of the compulsory school attendance laws. These penalties may be imposed on both students and parents/guardians by a magisterial district judge. The specific penalties are outlined in the PA School Code (24 P.S. 13-1333 and 1338.1) and can include, but are not limited to: fines, community service, completion of a parenting education program, and referral to the county Children and Youth Agency.

Students are also subject to the disciplinary consequences described in their school's student handbook.


What if my child needs to be dismissed early from school?

Although it is not always possible, services provided by licensed medical practitioners for the student should ideally be scheduled after school. Requests* for early dismissal should be entered into the SafeArrival Attendance system, or the building office notified in writing, preferably prior to the start of school.  Doctor’s Notes should then be uploaded to SafeArrival, or if after the date of absence, provided to the building office within 3 days.

*”Requests for Early Dismissal” may be in the form of a signed parental note or an appointment card from a licensed medical practitioner, both of which must indicate the departure time and an approximate time for returning to school (when appropriate). Students must check in with the office when departing from or returning to school.

If a parent/guardian has not provided a note beforehand, such as in an emergency situation, the parent/guardian must sign the student out in the office. Please note that early dismissals will not be considered excused unless approved by the building administrator and/or the school nurse.


What if my child is tardy (late) to school?

Students who arrive at school after the official start time must check in with the office or. Parents of elementary students must enter with the student to sign excuse forms. The same rules apply for both absences and tardiness (for example, the need for parental notes and the differences between excused and unexcused). Additionally, students may be subject to disciplinary consequences as outlined in their school's student handbook.

School start times:

Senior High School 7:45 AM

Strayer & SGC 8:00 AM

Elementary 9:05 AM



What if my child is going on a non-school sponsored educational trip?

In order for days out of school to be approved for family educational trips, as well as single-day trips, the "Educational Trip Request Form" (See Appendix D) must be submitted to the building administrator a minimum of 10 days prior to the trip. Please note that trips will not be approved during the first two weeks OR the last two weeks of school, in cases of excessive absences, during standardized testing windows, or if the child is in academic jeopardy.




Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.